The Locals are an alt-rock, power pop three piece based in Chicago. Fans of The Pixies, The Whigs and Yeah Yeah Yeahs dig The Locals. They have been steadily gaining more fans with their latest release "SALT". Produced by Steven Gillis (Filter), The Locals' latest effort delivers guitar heavy sumptuous alt-pop through and through.
The Locals tour extensively in the midwest,have played in clubs and festivals all over the US including: Schubas (Chicago, IL), Martyrs (Chicago, IL), Subterranean (Chicago, IL), Reggies Rock Club (Chicago, IL), Birdy's Bar and Grill (Indianapolis, IN),Southgate House (Newport, KY), Andersonville MidSummarFest (Chicago, IL), Halsted Market Days (Chicago, IL), Ladyfest Midwest (Chicago, IL), International Pop Overthrow (Chicago, IL), EAT'em Music Conference (Las Vegas), Invasion of The Go Girls (SXSW) Austin TX. The band did their first UK tour in 2011.
The Locals have been featured on many radio, pod cast and music TV shows such as: "That Time of The Month" LogoTV (Cable), NBC 5 Battle of the Bands (Network), CLTV Metromix, Q101, WXRT, LA GENX radio and more View all previous tv/radio appearances »
Some interesting facts about us:
- The Locals were the subject of years of public resentment from The Matches (formerly The Locals, Oakland California) who had to change their name because of a trademark conflict. They released their first record on Epitaph Records and named it "E.Von Dahl Killed The Locals". There is a chorus in tune on their 2nd album where they are chanting in the background "Yvonne Doll will be your twist of fate"
- Yvonne was just featured in Guitar World Magazine as one of the top "10 Female Guitarists You Should Know".
- Yvonne is a photographer best known for her cell phone photo project, "SleepyUrbanite". (sleepyurbanite.com cell photos of people sleeping on the el train in Chicago) The project was featured on The Today Show, NBC News, Chicagoist, TimeOut, VoxPop magazine (France), Newstalk Radio (Ireland)
- Christy Nunes (co-founder, bass player) originally hails from San Diego. Christy began playing professionally at the age of 14. She once shoved a kid during a job as the Chuck E. Cheese mascot when he kept kicking her and pulling her tail.
- Drummer Tommy Oedering, when he's not drumming for The Locals makes custom drums at the custom drum shop "Chicago Custom Percussion".
The Locals are:Yvonne Doll: Vocals, Songwriter, Guitar
Christy Nunes: Bass
Tommy Oedering: Drums
PRESS:View all press »
What people are saying about "SALT": "Doll proves she has the alt-rock style of singers like Karen O, but also exhibits a unique blend of sultry sounds that definitely sets her apart and makes this track noteworthy. With a blend of old and new sounds and lyrics about letting go, the songs on "Salt" prove to be worthy contenders for Chicago indie anthems..." --Time Out
"The chorus to 'Away From Here' is epic" MTV via Twitter
"Obvious skill occompanied by a punky attitude" -- Guitar Player Magazine "Top Female Musicians You Should Know"
“The EP ‘SALT’ will have listeners craving more than four exceptionally crafted songs….” — Rock Wired Magazine
"I feel that The Locals light up each track on 'Salt' with an energy that parallels that of early punk artists" ---- Nufutur.com
“I simply love the style The Locals provide on Salt because it seems to be music that pushes along consistently while never letting up..."----Skope Magazine
Video: "Everything Must Go"
Video: "Big Picture"
The Locals' elswehere on the internet machine:
Book the locals:ph.773.576.2745